Unrest caused by the death in Minneapolis of George Floyd, a handcuffed black man who pleaded for air as a white police officer pressed a knee on his neck, has caused the City of Chicago to halt all construction downtown within these boundaries:
• Division St. from Lake Shore Drive and N. Halsted St.
• N. Halsted from Division St. to Milwaukee Ave. and Grand Ave.
• Milwaukee Ave. from Grand Ave. to Kinzie St.
• Canal St. from Kinzie St. to 26th St.
• 26th St. from. Canal St. to Lake Shore Drive
Mayor Lightfoot has requested and will receive the assistance of the Illinois National
Guard who will maintain a limited presence to support the police department, the Construction Industry Service Corporation (CISCO) reported in a bulletin.
CISCO also noted in its bulletin that there will be limited access to the Loop, with entry restricted to residents and essential employees. “Boarding companies will be allowed to enter,” CISCO said. “Proper identification to get past all checkpoints are requested” by the Chicago Police Department.