Parallel RFP solicitations were issued for two components at the CCHHS Central (Stroger) Campus in November 2014 and January 2015, and together attracted a total of 12 submissions from local, national and international companies and consortiums.
Three professional teams have been shortlisted to be considered as a development partner with the County and CCHHS to implement the core medical needs program that includes a new ambulatory care clinic as well as physician and administrative offices, education facilities, enhanced traffic flow on the campus and improved parking, a Cook County news release reported. In a concurrent process, three development consortiums have also been shortlisted to be considered as the master developer to create mixed-use redevelopment opportunities that leverage the old Cook County Hospital structure and its surrounding property to generate revenue for the county.
“We’re excited by the opportunity to leverage the value of this real estate while also improving the competitive position of the Cook County health and hospitals system,” Preckwinkle said. “We have had great interest from the development community and look forward to seeing their creative development proposals shortly.”
All responding teams saw value in restoring the historic old Cook County Hospital façade rather than demolishing the building. “I am more optimistic than ever that we will find a way to unlock the inherent value of the historic Cook County Hospital structure to enhance and improve the neighboring communities and the county as a whole.” he said.
“This redevelopment project is central to enhancing CCHHS’ patient experience. With a new, modern ambulatory facility and an updated campus layout, CCHHS will be better positioned to provide our patients high-quality care with dignity and respect,” said Dr. John Jay Shannon, CCHHS CEO.
The following teams have been selected to move forward with Part Two of the RFP processes:
Shortlisted Teams: Core Medical Development Partner
- CB Richard Ellis/U.S. Equities Realty — led by CB Richard Ellis/U.S. Equities Realty, including Clayco/Forum, Gensler, Brook Architecture, dbHMS, Site Design Group, Matrix Engineering Corporation, Trinal, Ardmore Associates, KLOA, Carol Naughton & Associates, Environmental Design International, and Walsh Consulting Group.
- Civic Health Development Group — led by MB Real Estate Services, the team includes Plenary Group, Walsh Investors, Walsh Construction Company, Johnson Controls, Loop Capital, Skidmore Owings & Merrill, Health Management Associates, and Legat Architects
- County Health Development Partners — led by Navigant and consisting of Fengate Capital Management, Power Construction, Honeywell, Perkins + Will, JSMA Healthcare, Target Group, KHL Retail, Primera Engineers, Genesis Planning, Quercus, Walker Parking, Kimley Horn, Kowalenko, IDEA, Thornton Tomasetti, Ujamaa Construction, Terra Engineering, and Level-1 Global Solutions.
Shortlisted teams: Market Rate Master Developer
Civic Health Development Group (CHDG) — MB Real Estate: Lead Master Developer
- Plenary Group: Developer, Equity Investor
- Walsh: Developer, Equity Investor
- Granite: Developer, Equity Investor
- Walsh Construction: Design Builder/General Contractor
- SOM: Lead Architect/Planner
- Legat Architects: Architect
- Health Management Associates: Medical Planning
Lend Lease: Lead Developer, Construction and PM/CM
- Perkins + Will: Architect
- PORT | Urbanism: Urban Design/Landscape Architect
McCaffery Interests: Master Developer
- Antunovich Associates: Architect and Planner
- W.E. O’Neil Construction Company: Construction Manager