Midtown Athletic Clubs is progressing with the construction of Midtown Athletic Club and The Hotel at Midtown in Chicago. The $75 million project is slated for completion in July 2017, and will include additions and renovations to Midtown’s flagship property, which was originally constructed in 1970 as the world’s largest indoor tennis club.
The project architect is Evanston-based DMAC Architecture, which a news release says has been long-term partner of Midtown Athletic Club for more than 10 years.
“We are thrilled to continue our partnership with Midtown Athletic Club, and spearhead the design of Chicago’s first fitness-lifestyle hotel, DMAC founder and principal Dwayne MacEwen said in a statement. “It’s game-changing when a hotel is considered an amenity to a fitness facility, and after a decade of ideation and research, this is becoming a reality at Midtown.”
When complete, the developers say it will be the largest health-and-fitness property in the U.S. at more than 575,000 sq. ft. Midtown is located at the crossroads of some of Chicago’s most vibrant neighborhoods – Bucktown, Lincoln Park, Lakeview and Logan Square.
Club amenities will include:
- 24,000 sq. ft. outdoor pool and sun deck, with 25-yard lap pool, hydrotherapy pool and kids pool, which will be converted to an ice skating rink in the winter
- 100-ft. indoor pool
- Full-service restaurant with outdoor dining, private dining, and a lounge
- 10,000 sq. ft. weight training floor
- 10,000 sq. ft. cardio fitness floor
- 15 indoor tennis courts and the Tennis Lounge designed by V STARR Interiors
- Full-sized NBA basketball court
- Three squash courts
- Three paddle tennis courts
- Full-service spa
- Heated yoga studio
- Spin studio
- Pilates studio
- Boxing studio by George Foreman III
- Group exercise studio
- Two PGA Tour golf simulators
- Kidtown Kids Club
- Retail boutique
Midtown’s 55-room boutique hotel will have four private suites, including The V Suite designed by V STARR Interiors. The hotel will also have a state-of-the-art executive conference room, two meeting rooms, and a private rooftop deck.